Vibrant Wild Rice Pilaf
A lovely combination of flavours featuring our Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil.
1 cup wild rice
1 small butternut or acorn squash, peeled and cubed
2/3 cup pecan halves
2 shallots, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 small carrot, sliced at an angle
1 or 2 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 Tbsp Sea Salt
3 Tbsps. Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil
- Place wild rice in medium sauce pan with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook 45-50 minutes, covered. The rice should be cooked, but firm.
- Roast the squash at 450F for 20-25 minutes. Roasting gives the squash a deeper flavour.
- Meanwhile heat a large, wide skillet over medium low heat. Gently toast the pecan halves until aromatic. Keep a close watch on the nuts as they burn easily. Transfer nuts to the board, cool, loose chop and reserve.
- Turn the heat to medium-high, adding the wild mushroom and sage olive oil and sea salt.
- Sauté onions and garlic until soft. Add celery, carrot and stir-fry briskly for a couple of minutes.
- Add cooked rice, squash, thyme, cranberries and pecans.
- Season to taste, toss to combine.