Broccoli, Cheddar & Leek Casserole
A delicious veggie dish for dinner.
3 pounds broccoli, cut into small florets, stems peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch coins
3 tablespoons premium extra virgin olive oil
2 leeks, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups whole milk
2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Freshly ground pepper
4 tablespoons butter olive oil
5 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Set a steamer basket in a large, deep saucepan filled with 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Add all of the broccoli, cook over high heat until tender, roughly 5 minutes. Transfer the broccoli to a paper towel lined baking sheet to drain.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the premium extra virgin olive oil, add the leeks and a generous pinch of salt. Cook over medium heat until softened. Add the flour and whisk over moderately high heat until bubbling and a paste forms, roughly 2 minutes. Add the milk and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened and bubbling. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cheddar, cayenne and butter olive oil.
- Pour half of the cheese sauce into a large 2-inch-deep baking dish. Arrange the drained broccoli on top of the cheese sauce in a single layer and drizzle the remaining cheese sauce on top.
- Bake the casserole for 15 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the top is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with parmesan to finish.